Oh how I love to entertain - especially for breakfast. These crisp biscotti are a wonderful addition to any breakfast buffet and are very packable for schoolday and workday coffee breaks. This version is adapted from Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe book. I could listen to Molli talk all day long - I remember listening to her show when I was in college and loved her soft voice and way of speaking. She is also a wonderful artist.
...And I took the photo of the sky this morning. Isn't it so glorious - too bad it started sleeting a few hours later...
3 Large Eggs (I use a combination of eggs and egg replacer)
1/3 cup (packed) Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
1/3 cup Canola Oil
1 teaspoon Grated Orange Zest
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (or a combination of White and Whole Wheat Flour)
3/4 cup Rolled Oats
1/2 cup Soy Protein Powder
1/4 cup Cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon Salt (Optional)
3/4 cup Minced Almonds
6 Dates, Pitted and Minced (or you could use some Raisins here)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a baking tray with nonstick spray.
2. Break the eggs into a large bowl. Add the sugars, oil, orange zest, and extract and beat together until smooth.
3. In a second bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, and mix until completely blended.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix thoroughly, using a spoon at first and then mixing with your hands as it thickens (It will be a stiff batter - almost a dough).
5. Divide the batter in half, and form it into 2 equal logs, each about 2 inches in diameter. Place them side by side on the prepared baking tray (They can be close together but should not touch).
6. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove, then remove the tray from the oven. Transfer the logs to a cutting board, and cut them into 1/2 inch slices (Using a serrated knife and a sawing motion, to prevent crumbling).
7. Return the pieces to the tray, laying them flat on their sides, and bake for 8 minutes longer. Turn them over, and bake for another 8 minutes on the other side. For extra-crunchy biscotti, turn off the oven, and leave the tray in there for an additional 15 minutes or so.
8. Remove the tray from the oven, transfer the biscotti to a rack, and allow them to cool for at least 10 minutes.
Have a happy morning...